Today marks the kick-off of what will hopefully be wildly enjoyable and successful feature here at The Byronic Man: The 20 Questions Interview.
It’s modeled after the famous Proust Questionnaire designed to get to know artistic types a little better. Mine’s perhaps not as poignant and sophisticated as the other one, but on the other hand, the other one does not have TV detectives, Deadly Sins and super powers in it. So there.
This inaugural interview is with Jules, from the popular and delightful Go Guilty Pleasures. Jules’ site is always enjoyable and very funny, whether she’s writing about her undying love of chipmunks, her awesome dog, or creating pretty impressive videos about why Darren Criss should love her. So with that in mind: Hey, Jules! Let’s play 20 Questions!
1. What quality do you most admire in others? Their ability to compliment me on my appearance and the superiority of my dog, Uncle Jesse.
2. What trait do you most dislike in yourself? My need to be liked by everyone. Hey, did I tell you you look really hot and smart today?
3. If you could come back in your next life as anything, what would it be? My head is saying, “Singer,” but my heart is saying, “Chipmunk.”
4. What would you like the title of your biography to be? The Blonde Joke’s On You.
5. You’re suddenly made the absolute ruler of your country. What is the first change you make? Friendly’s peanut butter cup sundaes for everyone!!! …You have to say that like Oprah for it to work. Oh, also I would take all of Oprah’s money and redistribute it more appropriately.
6. With which Peanuts character do you most identify? I most identify with Sally Brown because she’s blonde. Kidding. We’re kindred spirits because of her interest in psychology and this: “In a series of strips from 1982, Sally actually went to ‘beanbag camp’, which consisted of nothing but lazing around in beanbags, watching TV and gorging on junk food, and returned home fat.” (Thanks, Wikipedia.)
7. What 3 songs do you think you’ve listened to more than any others in your life? “Foolish Games” by Jewel (I went through a phase at 15 where I refused to listen to anything unless it made me want to slit my wrists), “Kissing You” by Des’ree (see previous explanation) and every song by John Denver and James Taylor, thanks to my parents’ habit of blasting Denver/Taylor CDs every Sunday promptly at 8am. Every. Sunday.
8. If you could relive one day – either keeping it the same, or changing something – what would you choose? The day I interviewed for a job with the woman who would become Stephenie Meyer’s (of Twilight saga fame) literary agent. I would have worn pants that weren’t two inches too short and investigated what being a literary agent’s assistant actually entailed. Robert Pattinson and I could be sharing tea and scones Right. Now!
9 .What is your biggest fear? Scorpions. Duh. Also? Duh.
10. What movie or book has had the biggest impact on you? My favorite movie is “Clueless,” which I thought I liked because of the silly dialogue and bright colors, but I think it must be influencing the way I approach the blogosphere. I never thought I was like Cher until I discovered my place in the WordPress world.
11. What is your favorite thing about blogging? Connecting with other bloggers and reading their hilarious and poignant posts has been an unexpected treat to say the least, but to expand on my last answer, the wildest thing about blogging has been finding my voice. Even though I went to school for creative writing, I never felt like I had a voice until I started a blog.
12. Least favorite thing about blogging? Feeling pressured to read so many blogs every single day takes some of the fun out of it, even though I absolutely LOVE (!!!) all of the blogs I read. I don’t want to skim through a post that someone put their heart and soul into, but sometimes I just don’t have the time to read as many as I’d like to.
13. Which superpower would you choose if you could: the ability to fly, or to turn invisible at will? I’ve always wanted to fly, though I sense invisibility would be a lot more practical; and useful when I feel like spying on the neighbors. Wait. That came out wrong. Fly. Definitely fly.
14. What is your idea of perfect happiness? If you’ve ever been to goguiltypleasures.com, you’re lookin’ at it! In short, happiness to me = champagne, arts and crafts, pop culture and giving away slap bracelets.
15. Which of the 7 Deadly Sins are you most guilty? Sloth. I always feel like I could/ should be doing more, both personally and professionally. My New Year’s Resolution for 2012 is to stay on top of birthdays/ anniversaries/ friends’ kids’ birthdays, etc. and make sure to send at least a text/email, if not an actual card.
16. What public figure (past or present) are you just sure you’d be friends with, if you ever met? My first thought was River Phoenix, but we totally wouldn’t be friends because I don’t think he had a very good grasp on reality, and I once read that his [uber-hippie] parents sent him into a tent to have relations with an older friend of theirs so he could lose his virginity. I’m just not sure we have a lot in common. I am SURE I would be friends with Kate Winslet, because she has all of the qualities I seek in a bestie: 1) British, 2) singing ability, and 3) ties to Leonardo DiCaprio.
Do I have to move onto the next question already? I haven’t even gotten to Michelle Williams, Jimmy Fallon or Sandra Bullock yet.
17. What public figure would you really like to sit down and give a good talking-to? To explain why they’re wrong, wrong, wrong. Britney Spears. It probably goes without saying, but the heart of the conversation would feature me screaming: “BUT YOU HAD JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE!”
18. If you could spend a year in any time and place, when and where would you choose? Okay, I know this is probably so wrong to say since I’m a liberal chick from Jersey and all, but I could rock the shiz out of a corset. I think I’d need to do it in London or Paris during the Victorian era. I’d probably pop a few corset strings by eating too many petit fours, though. Dang. I love petit fours. They’re like little cakes so it’s not as if you’re eating a lot, you know? Why are good petit fours so hard to find?
19. If you could be any TV detective, who would you choose? Sydney Bristow (Jennifer Garner) from Alias counts, right? I love her. She gets to wear sooo many awesome disguises, travel the world and practice her accents! And her dad is Victor Garber. I love Victor Garber.
20. What would you most like people to say about you after you’re gone? I would like people to say that I made them feel, even for a moment, happy in their own skin. …Can someone please cue the James Taylor music?