Hey, Renee From “Life In The Boomer Lane,” Let’s Play 20 Questions!

May 17, 2012

20 Questions, Humor

Life in the Boomer Lane is one of those sites that’s particularly impressive for the window it gives in to a specific life experience.  The baby-boomers have never been, shall we say, shy about talking about their experiences as a generation, but Renee at Life in the Boomer Lane gives a really clear, witty account of her life, and a sharp sense of her generation that is respectful with out being boastful, proud without being self-indulgent.  Also she has a couple books, which she would like you to buy.  But before you do that…

… Hey, Renee, Let’s Play 20 Questions!

1. What quality do you most admire in others?  Their enthusiasm over my sense of humor

2. What trait do you most dislike in yourself?  I’m passive aggressive.

3. If you could come back in your next life as anything, what would it be? Someone tall and athletic who wasn’t afraid of heights and would say things like “Oh, I was so busy, I forgot to eat.”

4. You’re suddenly made the absolute ruler of your country.  What is the first change you make?  Every child will be loved and cared for and respected.

No one ever remembers Frieda…

5. With which Peanuts character do you most identify? Is there somebody really short with really curly hair?

6. What 3 songs do you think you’ve listened to more than any others in your life? Oh man, a new age Native American song which no one has ever heard of. The Theme from Bagdad Café (“Calling You” by Jevetta Steele) which no one has ever heard of (*editor’s note: I remember that song.  It is pretty great). And maybe Joplin’s “Me and Bobby McGee.”

7. If you could relive one day – either keeping it the same, or changing something – what would you choose? Fall 1966, arriving on the Penn State Main Campus for the first time.  I wouldn’t change a thing.

8. What is your biggest fear? Heights and the religious right and how we continue to destroy the environment.

9. What would you like the title of your biography to be? I don’t know about a biography title.  Steven Tyler stole my autobiography title: Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?

Don’t worry, little lady. My handy snub-nose pistol will take care of… THEM.

10. What movie or book has had the biggest impact on you?  Guns, Germs, and Steel for books. Them was the first horror film I ever saw. I was seven years old and I still haven’t gotten over it.

11. What is your favorite thing about blogging/primary art form? All the nonsense that’s in my head anyway, now has a place to go.

12. Least favorite thing about blogging/primary art form? I sometimes feel like it’s a complete waste of time and/or a cluster f**k.  Then a blogger writes something completely amazing, and I am filled with gratitude for having seen it.

13. What is your idea of perfect happiness?  Being with my kids, their significant others, and my grandsons.  Now Husband can be there, also.

14. Which of the 7 Deadly Sins are you most guilty? I had to Google the 7 Deadly Sins. Envy.

Boy, it was not easy to figure out who this “Oprah” person is, much less find a picture of her. Is she, like, a scientist or something?

15. What public figure (past or present) are you just sure you’d be friends with, if you ever met?  Margaret Mead, Oprah, Jonathan Safran Foer, Jim Croce.  Except I’d be catatonic and would never say a word so they would never know how cool I was.  I’d love to meet Mary Magdalene, to get the real story.

16. What public figure would you really like to sit down and give a good talking-to?  To explain why they’re wrong, wrong, wrong.  There are so many now. The Koch Brothers are one.  They have the ability to have such a huge, positive impact on people’s lives.  But, instead, they contribute to groups that work against the health of the planet and the well-being of the people on it.  But I wouldn’t talk.  I would hire the Mission: Impossible people to set up a virtual reality that would make them understand the impact of what they were doing.

Excuse me! Excuse me! Um, a little less on the “demon,” a little more on the “hand-washing” and “house cats,” is all I’m saying…

17. If you could spend a year in any time and place, when and where would you choose?  I would only do that if I had the power to influence events for the good.  Like telling people, “Guys, this is the plague.  Pay attention.  Do something about those rats.” Or “It doesn’t matter how many treaties you sign.  They are going to kill all the buffalo and then they are going to kill you.” Or “That little guy with the mustache: Really. Bad. News.”

18. If you could “steal” the creation of any book, album or movie – to just suddenly be the creator of it, what would you choose and why?  The Bible, and then I would reveal that it was all made up and we could do better.

Renee has said the magic words. ALL HAIL, “THE WIRE”!!!

19. If you could be any TV detective, who would you choose?  I’m watching The Wire now on Netflix and I’m obsessed with it, so one of those people.

20. What would you most like people to say about you after you’re gone? That I made a difference.

, , , , , ,

33 Comments on “Hey, Renee From “Life In The Boomer Lane,” Let’s Play 20 Questions!”

1. Life With The Top Down Says:

Great answers Renee! I particularly like your clever idea on getting the dreaded Koch brothers to see the light. Something tells me they would have have to be a room hitting replay several times before they would actually “get it”.

Oh, the stories Mary Magdeline could share with us!

2. k8edid Says:

Great answers, Renee. I have always been envious of curly hair.

I loved this one: “Guys, this is the plague. Pay attention. Do something about those rats.”

I am conducting a writing contest based on the 7 Deadly Sins – check out some of the great entries…

3. Renée A. Schuls-Jacobson Says:

Great stuff! Do all Renee’s have curly hair? Is it a requirement or something? 😉

4. Life in the Boomer Lane Says:

I’m farklempt, seeing all this in print. And I love that you are familiar with “Calling You.” Now you’ll excuse me while I take a sedative after seeing the photo from “Them.” Thanks, Byronic. Seriously.

Fantastic interview, Renee! I have got to see The Wire now. I absolutely loved your answer to number 18.

Here’s the thing about The Wire: You’ll watch a couple episodes and think, “Oh, this is pretty good. Not sure if it’s worth all the fuss.” You have to give it a while – but it’ll be worth it.

• Lenore Diane Says:

Wait. The Wire is only available via DVDs on Netflix, right? I can’t find it via streaming, and we gave up the DVD subscription. I’ll continue to watch for it, though. I’m hoping Luther continues. LOVE Luther.

We just recently discovered Luther. Great show. My wife is a fan of anything Idris Elba is in. Because his acting skills, of course.

• Lenore Diane Says:

I like your wife’s taste. I read he lives in Atlanta with his young son. Needless to say, I do my best to get out and walk the streets a little more frequently these days. No sightings yet. I’m certain he stands out in a crowd.

6. Elyse Says:

Great answers, Renee. I love that you’d tell everybody that the Bible is made up. Like by people. Because there are folks who don’t get that.

7. susielindau Says:

Love the interview. You rock Renee! I love your favorite thing abou blogging. I can relate to all the nonsense floating in the abyss that is my brain!

8. pegoleg Says:

11 and 12 – so yes. Great interview with a fascinating blogger. Mr Bryronic, as usual you are Stupendous Man when it comes to the just-right pictures.

9. cassiebehle Says:

Your humor is so subtle – I love it! Great interview. 🙂

10. Barneysday Says:

Love question 18. I will subscribe to her simply on the basis of the wisdom in her answer. Thanks for sharing her site with us.

11. Jackie Cangro Says:

These are tough questions, Byronic!

Renee – loved your answers. Funny and thoughtful.

12. gojulesgo Says:

Heh heh Renee, this was totally awesome! When you said you wished you could be one of those people who’s all, “Oh, I was so busy, I forgot to eat,” I DIED! I think that ALL the time! What the frig is up with those people?? I really liked/agreed with your answer to #12 (on blogging), too!

B-Man – your caption about the plague was amazing.

13. MJ, Nonstepmom Says:

Couldnt agree more about blogging being a complete waste of time and then finding something genius…..
    Viva le “Short with naturally curly hair” !

14. Betty Londergan Says:

I love Renee… and I love the Calling song from Baghdad Cafe! (and btw, I really like YOUR site, too! very , very funny!

15. Kathryn McCullough Says:

LOVE your anwer to number 9, Renee! That would be the perfect title for my memoir, as well. Like Betty, I love you, Renee. I want to be a tall version of you when I grow up.
    Hugs,
    Kathy

16. Angie Z. Says:

I loved Frieda! Are you kidding, how can anyone forget her and her naturally curly hair? Great answers, Renee! Oh so witty as always. My husband has been trying to wear me down on watching The Wire. He claims it’s the greatest drama of the ages but I feel like I’d be cheating on Mad Men.

17. nrhatch Says:

I like short people . . . if they have a sense of humor. And curly hair. 😀

18. benzeknees Says:

Have always loved Life in the Boomer Lane because I am a Boomer too! Renee is so witty & thoughtful! Thanks for doing the interview Byronic

19. S. Trevor Swenson Says:

I wanna play. No one ever interviews me…cept that annoying Lipton fellow on TV.