Superbowls never go quite the way people think they’re going to. And this year? No exception.
What were some of the more surprising moments?
1. Completely shattering all expectations, and defying the most refined Vegas odds, The Red Hot Chili Peppers perform their halftime set with their shirts on.
2. After calling the coin toss which determines who wins the Superbowl, the two teams decide to have a game anyway.
3. A 10-minute orientation video explains to confused and frightened Seattleites why there are no drops of water falling from the sky.
4. Opera star Renee Fleming’s includes 15 minutes of jazz scat in her rendition of the National Anthem.
5. Richard Sherman’s 4.5 million dollar commercial, in which he runs through his college transcript class by class, in case there’s anyone in America left who doesn’t know he went to Stanford.
6. John Elway’s presence on, and refusal to leave, the field.
7. Upon winning the game, the Seahawks dump a 30-gallon Starbucks latte on the coach.
8. The entire second half is run ad-free, thanks to a generous donation by the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation.
9. The 1-hour delay after the ball was punctured, and someone had to run to Rexall’s to get a new one.
10. The new rule, that once the game is over both teams line up and pass by each other, telling each player, “Good game. Good game. Good game. Good game.”